Cyclocross Events
  • benedictbenedict October 2011
    I've been frantically trying to finish off my cyclocross project in time for winter. 

Does anybody know of any cyclocross events in the Berlin area? 

It looks like there used to be a good one at Viktoriapark in Kreuzberg, but I can't find any info about it this year.
  • winstonwinston October 2011
    This is all I can find on the rad-net site:

Not sure if I'm using it correctly though.....

I'm off to London next week for Muddy Hell....maybe one day I'll be able to race it too...

now you've got a cross bike (pics?) you really should pop up here...perfect for the mixed terrain, though the weather is turning, first cold toes of the autumn this morning
    I have a load of bits on order at the moment. I still need to figure out what crankset I will use and then I'm sure there will be a load of chainline issues to resolve as I want to run it as a single speed, I'll  borrow a crank off one of my other bikes to get it running though hopefully before winter proper arrives.

muddy hell looks really fun, maybe I'll try and have a go next year too.
    some events listed here including jederman categories, i'm not able to fully understand it though!

http://www.berlin-radsport.de/veranst/GA_Offroadserie%202011.pdf
    Couldn't help posting this here...I love my job! worth watching this "full screen"

interesting how vimeo vids embed better than youtube ones....
    that event looks awesome. maybe i'll try to enter next year now that i have a crosser :) great video too,

love the mr. blobby character how the hell did he manage to ride a bike dressed like that?! 
    A young lad from the track who does occasional Rollapaluza work too...in fact he was London Rollapaluza league champion last year....has got good bike-handling skills, he remained incognito all night, event the programme and sign-on sheets said "Mr Blobby"
  • benedictbenedict November 2011
    German Cyclocross Championships are being held at Kleinmachnower on 7th-8th January 2012:

http://www.cross-dm2012.de/
    Post edited by benedict at 2011-11-07 01:15:27
  • winstonwinston November 2011
    Ooh, I might come down to see this....went to he Mecklenburg Vorpommern champs last year.
    Will there be a bar?......if yes, then really tempted, would be good to know the schedule though it's probably safe to assume the elite men will be on the second day...however the stars of German cyclo-cross are the ladies....so am just as interested to see this....Hanka Kupfernagel (Phwooar!) Sabine Spitz,  Trixi Worrack etc...
    I'd be up for checking it out, but the only info I know of is via that site. Hopefully there will be a bar!
    still keen on the Nats, though romance may get in the way of my plans....
  • benedictbenedict December 2011
    More info about the Deutsche Meisterschaft CX-champs has been published, including a route video, and after party details:

There's even a jedermann course - so I better resume my winter training and learn some bike handling skills quick!

http://www.cross-dm2012.de/?page_id=1283
    Post edited by benedict at 2011-12-10 12:17:41
  • deboatdeboat December 2011
    The jedermann looks cool. I can even ride my mtb!! 
    I wonder if there will be snow?
  • benedictbenedict December 2011
    think you'll enter? i'd like to but won't have much of a chance to prepare.

the last entry must be in by thursday and there's only 120 places
  • winstonwinston December 2011
    MTB you say.....If i'd've known 3 months ago!..
  • benedictbenedict January 2012
    anyone going to watch?  i think i will withdraw my entry due to lack of preparation, but will try and go down on sat and maybe fit in a few grunewald laps while i'm there.
  • deboatdeboat January 2012
    I have entered! Looking forward to it but the weather is not looking so good with some rain expected. My disc brakes are going to be making some loud noises!  I rode around the trails there a few days ago and I think the sand will be the hardest thing to deal with, but great for spectators!
  • winstonwinston January 2012
    I won't be coming, girlfriend singing in a concert trumps this I'm afraid
    good luck deboat - let us know how you get on. i think i'll head down tomorrow and watch the elites
    off to watch the elites this afternoon.

next week i will hopefully head to this with some of the fahrtwind chaps:

• deboatdeboat January 2012
    I finished fourth on the first race. The second race I had a good start but when Fell off in the mud and tried too hard to catch up and blow up. Five guys passed me on the last lap so I finished 15th. The track was more slippery for the second race. but the sandy downhill sections had faster lines. I had a good time and the crowd cheering on was very cool!! I have never raced a cross race before and the sandy climbs made my heart rate go way too fast. I think a cross bike would have been better than my mtb but I would have still finished were I did even if I was a the best cross bike in the world. It was a great event !! 

Ben , What type of ride is it next week? I might be keen!!
    sounds like you did pretty damn well to me!

some photos on the farhtwind blog from today:

http://fahrtwindberlin.blogspot.com/2012/01/deutsche-cycloross-meisterschaft.html

i think next week is a more casually organised race - i need to find out more info though - this looks like a video from the last one 

a rel="nofollow" href="

">

Who made it to the champs?

Conditions looked "real" in Jaws' pics, more here. http://pandacycles.de/short-cuts/januar-2012/crossdm2012m/

Some German guy did well at the World's today, did you see him at the Nats Ben?
    i missed it had a busy day yesterday - can't see any videos on cyclingfans yest but will have another look tonight.
  • mjmarchermjmarcher May 2012
    I have been searching for a cyclocross race calendar in message boards and websites and can't seem to find anything that lists amateur races in the Berlin area or nearby vicinity...i thought that perhaps i could reach out to you guys and see if i could get some help?  My name is Matt and I am moving to Berlin at the end of June.  I am an amateur cyclist and race both cyclocross and road with a team, PSIMET Racing, here in Chicago, USA.  The Chicago cyclocross scene here is very strong with a Chicago Cyclocross Cup series that starts in September and runs each week through the second week of January.  I am hoping to find something similar when I arrive in Germany.  Any thoughts as to where I can start looking?
  • winstonwinston May 2012
    Matt

Good to see you here......

All I can find is this for Brandenburg (Excel file): http://www.radsportverband-brandenburg.de/?loadCustomFile=Termine/Gesamt_Terminplan.xls (look for Querfeldein)

And this page on National site (pdf): http://www.rad-net.de/modules.php?name=html&f=termine/2011/terminkalender-cross11_2.pdf but that looks more like National level stuff.

Also if you fancy a trip to the UK in October, I organise this: Muddy Hell
  • Jonas May 2012
    Hi Matt! 

Welcome to Berlin! I moved here a 2 months ago from Indianapolis. I also race road and hope to do some cross racing this fall. There is plenty of good roads to train on. I haven't had a chance to race yet since I need to get in shape but hope to enter an event soon. Hope to see you this summer.
    Jonas

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.  

I am looking forward to racing over in Berlin although I feel that the European talent pool is probably pretty deep!  Jonas, I am in your same boat with training, with this move happening, I haven't been on my bike in about 4 weeks.  I had an early season crit race in Chicago and that has been it since my last cyclocross race in January.  I am looking forward to knocking the rust off, so its good to hear that there are good roads to train on out there.  The company I work for is in Dahlewitz\Blankenfelde so there should be a lot of opportunity to ride my bike to work which will be a nice change from here in the states. 
  • Jonas May 2012
    I work in Dahlewitz as well at Rolls-Royce. Are you going to work there as well? I have commuted on my bike from Zehlendorf a few times and will try to do it more often.

Just make sure that you get some good solid commuter tires - there are many nice flat roads for training but there are also some cobbles. There is some rough road on the commute to Dahlewitz so make sure that you get some good puncture resistant tires for the commute (I got a pair of cheap Forte 28 mm from Performancebike.com)
    Jonas, yes I will be working at Rolls-Royce, starting there in about a month, small world lol.  From our temporary housing, it looks like there will be a decent direct route from Berlin to Dahlewitz.  I'm not sure how look the moving company takes to ship our stuff over, but hopefully once my bikes over, I will be able to ride the commute regularly.  I was told that there are great showering\changing facilities at RRD so I'd like to make the ride as often as weather\time allows.

I was planning on riding in my road bike with training tires (clinchers).  But, if you think that those are not sturdy enough, then maybe my cyclocross bike with the Michelin Mud 2 clinchers?  the are a little thicker and perhaps not as easy to puncture.  
  • Jonas May 2012
    Hi Matt, 

Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Have you find a place to stay yet? Since I recently went through the whole move, etc. I'd be happy to share my experience. What's your email? Send me an email at jonaslhd@gmail.com 

Re tires: No need to run CX tires, but I recommend a puncture resistant tire since there are some stretches of cobbles + now when the weather is nice it seems to attract a lot of glass on the side of the roads/bike paths (no fun to get a double flat half way between home and work). During my normal training rides on the SW side of town, I use the same Michelin and Continental tires I used back home. However, I haven't "dared" to mount my race wheel/tires on yet.

BTW: I squeezed one bike into the air shipment so I could get it faster: ~ 2 weeks. The sea shipment took about 5-6 weeks. You always have the option to check the bike on the airplane but it is a bit pricey and tricky to get it from the airport in the rental car.
  • benedictbenedict May 2012
    Seems there are quite a few cyclists at Rolls Royce - I already met a couple of others there.
    thanks jonas, i appreciate the offer for help, i will send you an email with a few questions that i do have...

benedict, thats great to know that there are cyclists at RRD...it will be great to have some people to ride with so i can get back to some type of race shape in the next few months before cross season starts...look forward to it!
  • benedictbenedict June 2012
    Finally got round to uploading some of my photos from the deutsche meisterschaft:

• benedictbenedict September 2012
    Steven's Cyclocross Cup: http://www.radsport-aktiv.de/freizeit/freizeitnews_72210.php

(Can't see much near Berlin)
  • winstonwinston September 2012
    A few of those aren't too far from me, might go with camera and cowbell!
    Looks like the Eisenschweinkader are running their cyclocross league again

http://www.stoertebeker-cup.de/termine/

far as i can tell it's pretty informal so will be joining in a few when I can!

do you actually have a cowbell winston?
    yes...I have also been offered a Scott 2013 team cx bike at cost price, which I'm thinking of getting.
    sweet! do it!
  • Jonas September 2012
    I have a friend riding the 2012 Scott and really liked it!
    The carbon or mid range aluminium?
  • Jonas September 2012
    The Scott CX team in Ultegra build - believe it has an Aluminium frame/carbon fork
    that's the one....2013 version has been offered to me for 700 Euros.
  • Jonas September 2012
    That's an amazing deal. I'd buy one in a second if there are more than one  :-)

• Jonas September 2012
    BTW: I heard it is a off-road duathlon in Potsdam for those with a cross-bike who also likes to run. 
  • benedictbenedict October 2012
    starts tomorrow:

http://www.offroadserie.de/